English Country Dance Links
- Seven Day Guide to Folk, Social, and Traditional Dancing in and around Philadelphia. "Detail about nearly every public event and regular dance in the Philadelphia Region!"
- NEFFA Links--the most extensive set of folk music & dance links on the Web.
- Country Dance and Song Society. Find an English, Contra, or ritual dance anywhere in North America: CDSS Affiliated Groups Page The site also has a complete list of CDSS bookstore items. You can find the programs for CDSS summer camp sessions at Pinewoods, Buffalo Gap, and Ogontz here, too.
- Dance Gypsy: The master schedule for a contra/country dance fanatic's summer season, plus other links, articles, information.
- Pinewoods Camp
- English Folk Dance and Song Society.
- The English Country Dance Mailing List. Subscribe to the whole list, to a weekly report, or access the many years of archives by thread topic.
Resources & Articles on GCD's website
- Scott & Jenny's Dance database (tune name, meter, formation, key)
- Jenny Beer & Joanna Reiner's Dancing on Campus For anyone starting or leading a campus-based dance group: Notes from a discussion and presentation at NEFFA 2002.
- Jenny Beer's Notes from Caller Class.
Memories of past GCD members
- Bruce Hamilton's advice
on giving feedback to callers (which applies to many other
situations as well.)
Country Dance Resources on other websites
Dance instructions, History, Archives
of ALL the Playford Dancing Master volumes with a quickly
searchable database. The scanned original pages of these 1,053 dances
and tunes can be a bit hard to read, but what a great resource. Thank
you, Bob Keller!
- How to read Playford--what all those symbols and abbreviations mean.
of Congress Dance texts An unbelievably rich collection of several
hundred dance manuals -- most in .pdf copies of all pages as well as
text files of each book. Browse facsimilies of Playford, Walsh,
articles and research on English Country Dance (Scroll down a bit.)
The Society for Creative Anachronism is a different contemporary stream
of ECD revival and new choreography. This is a list of their dance
research newsletter archives. The piece on How
to Reconstruct a Playford Dance explains they symbols, the
footwork, the figures as Playford abbreviated them.
Individual Dance Websites
- Colin Hume on dance technique--27 topics!
- Judy Rivkin's ECD animation! (requires bandwidth or patience, but it is well worth it!).
- See what Gary Roodman is up to--he posts his latest dances on his website.
- Linda Wolfe's 1997 NY Times article on English Country Dancing-- Stepping with Jane Austen.
Resources on Dance Music, on Dance Health
- Chamber's tune search will print the music for most any Anglo or Celtic traditional tune, often with several versions. Tunes are available in several formats--pdf, abc, gif, etc. For example, "Off She Goes" turns up 51 versions, "Apley House" 12.....
- Some thoughts on Playing for Folk Dancing by Eric Foxley, and his
- Philadelphia Folk Song Society
Dance Health, Injuries
- Dance injuries: An extensive compilation of information and links on preventing and healing Scottish Dance injuries (but still relevant to us English Country dancers!)--shin splints, heel spurs, ankle pain, wise warm-ups, icing and other immediate care for injuries.